Aiden is 12 years old and will be travelling with his family from small town Ontario to Grenada where his mom is volunteering with Cuso International. This blog will keep track of his thoughts before, during and after his time in Grenada.



Sunday 8 March 2015

Field Trip

On Friday I did not go to school because the day after sports (track and field) there is no school at Beacon. I was thinking I was going to get to stay home and do whatever I wanted... but no! My mom dragged me all around St. George's for NEWLO's field trip.

My dad drove us through the Sendall tunnel, but traffic wa sso bad he had to drop us off at the edge of the tunnel. Traffic was so slow that we were walking faster than my dad was driving! We were supposed to meet brother Saul at the Fish  Market... but we met up with him at the bus station instead,

About 12 NEWLO trainees, Brother Saul, my mom, Owen and I got on a Grand Anse bus. Owen literally front and centre. I sat behind my mom in the second to last row. In Grenada when someone in your row wants to get off the bus, everyone in that row has to get off. There are seats that fold up to let people out and those those people have to get off too. It is kind of like a tango! I had to get off twice before we arrived.

We arrived first at Sisssons a paint manufacturing plant which was in an industrial park. You can see it from the road because it is painted like a rainbow. There are two large buildings, They didn't look that big from the outside but when I got in they were huge! The first building the place where they made the paint, the second building was where raw materials and cans of paint are stored. They also tint paint in this building, this was very cool.

I felt like Scissons was a very safe environment. They had safety signs, fire extinguishers, emergency evacuation plans and sign saying they had gone 1026 days without a lost time injury!

After we finished there we walked up the road to a place where they made windows. It was interesting. Then we went to a place where they made soap, perfume and other stuff that smells good. They gave everyone an incense, my mom got potpourri as well.

From there we had to take buses Saint Georges University (SGU) veterinary animal clinic. We had to wait for the second bus, so my mom got us chips and ginger ale. Mr. Gay who is the ADP Coordinator gave us a chocolate ball with a nut in the middle. It was sooo good.

When we arrived at SGU, they weren't ready for us so we had lunch. This turned out to be awesome because mom bought us G Burgers, my favourite burger on the island! It was really good. Thank you mom. We walked "down by the bay, where the watermelons grows"...to Moca Spoke. This is where I started the red dress hash. We went back to the little food court and my mom got a cherry smoothie. We had to wait for a bit but it was totally worth it. I got to see cats, dogs, horses and cows!

The veterinarian clinic was air conditioned! YESSS! Most places don't have air conditioning so it is a treat to be in it. The tour was very informative and  learned quite a bit.
NEWLO ADP Trainee, Mr. Gay and Brother Saul

After the tour was over daddy came to pick us up and we went for a swim at Grand Anse to end our wonderful day!

Here are some more pictures.

















1 comment:

  1. Aiden, thank you for writing about your field trip. What an excellent experience to visit all these places and to see what makes a good work space. It sounds as though one of the criteria would be some where close to an eatery. The pictures really enhance your report.
    Thanks. Love you. Ama

    ReplyDelete