Aiden is 12 years old and will be travelling with his family from small town Ontario to Grenada where his mom is volunteering with Cuso International. This blog will keep track of his thoughts before, during and after his time in Grenada.



Sunday 22 June 2014

I've got it all sewn up!


Yesterday I fell off my bike, in Proctor Park, a large conservation area behind my grandma’s house. When I came down a large hill, it was really muddy so I got off my bike and started to walk my bike. When I saw a path just off to the side, I got back on my bike and after about 20 seconds I went over a large stick (smaller than a log, but big enough). I’m pretty sure I didn’t flip over the handle bars, I think I just tipped over. I put my hands down to stop my fall, and my left hand was all of a sudden
As close as I'll get to the pool for 1 week
bleeding. I had a gash the width of my palm.

I left my bike and ran to my grandma’s house. She rinsed all the blood off my hand and pulled a little pebble out. She drove me home and my mom put hydrogen peroxide on my cut. Then we could see how bad the cut was. My mom ran and got my dad. He decided I needed to go to the hospital to get stiches.

When we go to the hospital I was in shock and the triage nurse wanted to see me before some other people who were waiting. She gave me a Band-Aid, took my blood pressure, my weight and then I had to wait for another nurse to see me. It stopped bleeding while I was waiting. Then I got called into the ER section. This was a lot faster than when I needed stiches for my chin. Then I waited seven hours to be seen, this time was only 20-30 minutes!
 The nurse practitioner who saw me, told me I might just need glue, but later on she decided it was too wide a cut and needed stiches. To get my stiches they put freezing into my hand, they did that with three needles. You can imagine how big the cut was to have 3 needles just to freeze my palm. After a half hour, to let the freezing to over and to help another patient, she sewed my hand with blue stitches. She had to tie five knots with tweezers. I couldn’t even feel the stiches go in, until the last one which hurt a lot!

I’m glad this didn’t happen in Grenada because I don’t know what the hospitals are like in Grenada. I think they would have good doctors and nurses, but the hospitals might not be like Canada.

Aiden June 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment